NEWS ALERT: VCI Paper vs. VCI Film: Tips to Make an Educated Choice
When it comes to choosing an anticorrosion packaging material for metals, it can sometimes be a toss-up between selecting VCI paper or VCI film. There is not necessarily one right choice. Much of the decision depends on customer preferences and application needs. Reviewing some of the advantages of Cortec’s own VpCI® Film vs. VpCI® Paper can help bring clarity to the decision-making process.
VpCI® Paper Pros
- Biobased Instead of Plastic – One of the most obvious advantages is that VpCI® Paper is a naturally biobased packaging material. In Cortec’s case, several selections are official USDA Certified Biobased Products. This is a plus for environmentally conscious users who want to replace plastic and petroleum-based products with those sourced from renewables.
- Less Chance of Pollution – Cortec’s flagship VCI paper, CorShield® VpCI®-146 Paper with Eco-Bio™ Technology, is commercially compostable per ASTM D6868.* Most VpCI® papers are also recyclable, giving multiple non-polluting disposal options. Although VpCI® Film is recyclable, as well, there is less chance of pollution from VpCI® Paper if accidentally disposed improperly.
- Slight Cushioning and Moisture Absorption VpCI® Papers have a natural cushioning effect for sensitive components such as bearings. They can also absorb some of the excess moisture that
occurs when parts are stacked warmer than recommended.
VpCI® Film Pros
- Tougher Physical Barrier – By its very nature, VpCI® Film is better for long-term protection in more aggressive environments because the plastic provides a tougher moisture
barrier and can hold up better in high moisture environments such as export shipping.
- Many Convenient Formats – VpCI® Film comes in many different forms and styles that are easy to use. Slip a metal part into a VpCI® Bag and heat seal the end, close the zipper,
or heat shrink the entire package!
- More Versatile Storage Options – VpCI®-126 HP UV Shrink Film is an extra strength grade of VpCI® protection tough enough for outdoor storage. Judging by past performance, MilCorr® VpCI® Shrink Film brings that outdoor storage protection up to hurricanestrength durability.
Even Better Together
To benefit from some of the advantages of each, users sometimes wrap metal parts inside VpCI® Paper before placing them into a bag. This provides an extra dose of Vapor phase Corrosion Inhibitors, with the advantage of cushioning and moisture absorption on the inside and a tough physical moisture barrier on the outside.
Whichever packaging material you and your customer end up choosing, the characteristics mentioned above will help you make a more educated decision on which type best meets the user’s particular needs for corrosion protection.
Contact Cortec® for additional help in choosing your product: https://www.cortecpackaging.com/contact-us/
Keywords: VCI film, VCI paper, Cortec, VpCI, anticorrosion packaging, biobased packaging, corrosion protection, USDA Certified Biobased Products, environmentally conscious, recyclable packaging
* Check locally to see if such a facility exists in your community and if they will accept this product.
For a PDF version please click here.